Typically, we got one route done, and it started to rain. With no signs of it getting any lighter, we went for a wander up below the cliffs and to the top of one of the many bumps in the area, before squelching our way back to the car.
With the rain getting worse, and the one line forecast on Radio Scotland indicating more wet weather, but not being very specific, we headed for home. Once past Inverness, it brightened up, and a quick plan was formulated to climb at Kingussie crag on the Monday, so we headed inland and camped at Boat of Garten
The morning was dry but overcast to the South (where we wanted to go), and bright to the North. However, we decided to give it a go, and headed towards Kingussie. Typically, as soon as we got out the car, it started to rain. It took very little for us all to jump in the car, and head North into the sunshine, eventually arriving at Cummingston at lunchtime.
I've only ever climbed at Cummingston once (June 1996) in the aptly named Gutbuster Bay which resulted in a full cliff height groundfall on my first route. The result was a couple of compressed vertebrae and a bashed foot. That incident spawned other interesting events, such as Adam breaking into someones house to use their phone to phone for a helicopter; the helicopter then making the 60 second journey along the coast (only to have to go back again as I didn't need a lift); people holding onto their tents as the helicopter landed (we had camped there for the night); the coastguard turning up in a van (and not in a boat, according to the quality journalism of the Press and Journal, who also reported that I was also rescued by the said coastguard in their boat); and worse of all, me having to go back to the flat and face my then flatmate and her mum, having told them the night before when leaving that climbing was perfectly safe......
Anyway, there were no such dramas this time, mainly as I stuck to easier routes. The recent rain has washed a lot of sand onto the holds, but it's not too bad if you are expecting it. We enjoyed the sunshine until about 4pm when Rachel warned of a big black cloud approaching. I got to the top of a route, and the heavens opened right on queue. A fitting end to a weekend of chasing good weather, and being chased by bad weather!