Welcome to scomuir.com
Home Days Out YouTube Clips Images Links Site News Contact Site Map Q & A
Days Out list for the selected season
Click here to view the previous season (Summer 2015)
21 May 2016: CIC Hut trip Skiing Winter 2016
08 May 2016: An Teallach Skiing Winter 2016
21 April 2016: Sgran Dubh Mr Skiing Winter 2016
16 April 2016: Short Cairngorm tour Skiing Winter 2016
14 April 2016: Aonach Mor and Aonach Beag (again) Skiing Winter 2016
12 April 2016: Meall a' Bhuachaille and The Couloir Skiing Winter 2016
10 April 2016: Aonach Mor and Aonach Beag Skiing Winter 2016
19 March 2016: Cairngorms Tour Skiing Winter 2016
17 March 2016: Toll an Lochain, An Teallach Skiing Winter 2016
09 March 2016: Loch Avon basin gully skiing Skiing Winter 2016
27 February 2016: Beinn Dearg and Cona' Mheall Skiing Winter 2016
25 February 2016: Caenlochan Skiing Winter 2016
13 February 2016: Invercauld Skiing Winter 2016
10 February 2016: Glenshee skiing Skiing Winter 2016
17 January 2016: Ben Macdui Ski Tour Skiing Winter 2016

Finally back on skis today, although with quite a grey set of pictures after such a long break in updates.  The forecast suggested "80% chance of cloud free summits".  Unfortunately, we seem to be in the 20%, and were definitely not cloud free.  As Scott and I ascended Sron Riach, and were having to actually navigate (on a ridge!), we altered our plans for the remainder of the day.  Locating the top of Taillears was a strange business due to the whiteout.  There was some falling over due to feeling that you were moving forward, when you weren't.  Needless to say, the skiing wasn't elegant, and several craters were left in the lovely snow.  Below about 900m, we started to see some features, and things improved.  The lower section was great until just above the path it became crusty.



Rather than just walk out, we skinned back up to the col with Carn a 'Mhaim, and successfully toured along the fine rocky ridge to the summit.  Didn't have to remove the skis at all.  Playing it safe in the gloom, we headed North again, down a stream line i'd skied last March.  A great day out, despite the weather.

Crossing the temporary bridge at Derry Lodge
On Sron Riach.
On the final slope onto the plateau.  We figured it wasn't going to be a day for fantastic photography by this stage.
Good luck finding any definition.  Heading for the top of Taillears.  At least Scott had had a day out on skis by this point.  My first turns of the season were into this!
Finally below the murk, on the descent of Taillears.
Enjoying the skiing.
The view South down the Dee.
Heading back up the lower section of Taillears.
On the ridge of Carn a'Mhaim.
Skiing the north side of Carn a'Mhaim.
Getting out of a not well filled in stream line for the cruise round the hillside on Carn a'Mhaim,
Click here to view the previous season (Summer 2015)
 

Go back a page

 
All images and pages on this site are copyright © Scott Muir except where specified. Site Map